Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Getting Along

Mr Whiskers and Ms Patches have some really beautiful moments and then some tumultuous exchanges, probably not unlike any relationship. Mr Whiskers kind of pushes her out of the way when he wants my full attention--I mean completely out of the room. In trying to decide if I should adopt them out together i consulted with my TTouch Mentor, a wonderful animal trainer and supporter, Mary Bruce (see http://taviandfriends.org/). She said I may be able to alter this behavior but I have to catch them in the act. So I try to redirect Mr Whiskers, or I hold him at his chest and say "leave Ms patches alone, she belongs here." I try to do some simultaneous  slides on them while they are there together.

It is pretty typical for him to push her off my bed after a while. So today, I had to remind him a few times. Then he surprised me. He came over to her on my bed, and lay next to her. This is usually a prelude to putting his arm over her shoulder, a kind of dominance move. But instead, he started to clean himself. Then Ms Patches started to clean herself.














Then after about 5 minutes of this they curled up and fell asleep. So sweet! The first time I've seen them sleep so close. Now I'm not naive enough to think they will be perfectly happy from now on, but I think their relationship is developing very nicely. Thanks Mary!





When I came back from work they were in my office, sleeping together again, on the sofa. Sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment