Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Felines and Moving

It's been many days since an update because of the move...so many boxes!!! A bit overwhelming dealing with the move physically and emotionally--leaving my home of 9 years...well 7 years living there and 2 years visiting working--it was my hideaway in the West Village. my home.
Now it's gone.
I'm helping mom out with the family home. I'm not actually sure how much help I am since I've managed to fill it up with felines. It could be worse, I recently spoke with a writer who had 22 cats. We only have 4--so that's like nothing, except if you met these 4, plus Mia. They have a way of more than filling the space. Mr Whiskers has taken over the third floor, he allows Ms Patches to visit when he's in the mood. He has these demanding meows that scare the downstairs cats and force me upstairs to feed and pet him. Ms Patches has taken over the whole 2nd floor--two bedrooms and one room being renovated for my office (really her room if you ask her). And the other three run the first floor--a good one to be on, since the kitchen is there and the opportunity to go outside, which Cuddle and Scooter take much advantage of.


And I found myself asking why this timing?? Why did I have to have all these cats when I have this big move?? It's enough work keeping them all fed and their rooms and boxes clean. It finally dawned on me that this moving thing being a big life shift, one of the three highest stressors in life, these guys are possibly here to help me deal, to give extra love through this time. If I let them. (Or drive me crazy, but i'm not going there.) They all adore being pet and I have begun to use the time as meditation. It's a kind of petting meditation.


Now for the felines side of things,  they have had to deal with all the hubbub and they are doing pretty well. Mr Whiskers kept to his third floor hideout and Ms Patches kept her eye on me to make sure her room renovations met with her approval. 
I had to be extremely careful with the plastering and paint because it is very toxic. But Ms P is very good at navigating around things. She has a boundless curiosity. She really cracked me up the way she kept appearing when I least expected her. I would look down to put a rag in the bucket, for example, and there she was, watching intently.


Cuddles and Scooter stayed out of the way downstairs and Mia showed up every once in a while to make sure we all knew she belonged. We're still in process of getting settled in, and it's so hot we're all taking it very slow, but that's another story.

3 comments:

  1. OMG, Kathy! Moving with four cats and a dog. You are a saint. Does Scooter spray because he hasn't been neutered? I thought the smell stopped when the job was done. ? Our male cat, Reb, was neutered, so when he sprays nothing comes out. hmmm They are sweet and amusing companions, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, Scooter is of the 10% of cats who still spray when neutered. "Why us??" I find myself asking. YO uare soooo lucky that nothing comes out!
    Amusing they are and a lot of work!! or maybe I'm just making it that way. I do love them and though I know I need to get Patches and Whiskers adopted, it's going to be very hard to see them go.
    Thanks for reading and for your support,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know...it's hard. My kitties and their litter is in my bedroom because Zeus would definitely eat them up. It's not the best solution. Of course I read your blog!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete