Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Scooter, The Man of the House


Scooter is enjoying the blues on the radio on a balmy Sunday morning. He loves to rest his claws in the curtain. Doesn't he look so sweet and docile? He is the number one reason why fostering cats is so hard. Scooter is a cat that sprays.
Ugh!!

Usually male cats who are not neutered spray--for various reasons. One is to claim territory. Only 10 % of neutered cats spray and Scooter is one of those.

Scooter is my parents' cat. My mother says the only reason she keeps him around is because my father loved him so much. He really is a very sweet, very disturbed guy. They thought he was a "she" when he was young. They named him Lily, changed it to Willy, when he continuously would dash out of the house he became Scooter.

Living with Scooter makes you feel like you are living in purgatory on earth. The smell from his spraying is almost impossible to get rid of. He has been tested for any possible health problems--he was found to be very healthy. I switched him to what I feel is the healthiest diet--raw. We've tried a host of things, including valium, depo-provera; pheromone plug-ins, throwing out furniture that he doesn't stop spraying...nothing has worked. His fur is looking a little dry lately (maybe a seasonal thing, or maybe he needs to go to the vet. He is on fish oil). Right now we are trying Bach Flower remedies and adding kitty litter boxes with Cat Attract around the house. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'm also thinking of arming my mother and I with water pistols so if he sprays we can spray back (while he's not looking of course).

Mr Whiskers has to stay in the attic for his health and ours and Scooter's. Scooter is extremely territorial and does not like Mr Whiskers--he knows him from the 'hood. He once went over to the porch that Mr Whiskers was living on to pick a fight. Of course I can't say for sure I didn't see it, could have been he was trying to smell Mr Whiskers food, but why was he on Mr Whiskers porch??

So we have Mr Whiskers in the attic, Ms Patches in residence in the front bedroom, and Mia, Cuddles and Scooter eaking out a living on the first floor. This whole adventure has brought Cuddles and Mia closer. The seem to hang out together more.


It is quite an exhausting venture. My evening ritual is to start out on the first floor with my animals, saying hello, petting, TTouching, particularly Mia who has arthritis; feeding, walking (Cuddles and Mia). I clap my hands when Scooter begins to spray to startle and distract him, but then Mia barks and scared Scooter and he sprays again. I spend time brushing Scooter, which he adores--especially loves to have his face brushed. I add in a little mouthwork--circle on his lips and gums. I talk with him and tell him how much we love him but he is ruining the house and really needs to stop. While we have an extended brushing session I remind him he can mark with his face and it would be just as effective. Then we all have a treat. Then up to Ms Patches for a little playtime, then upward to Mr Whiskers to feed and TTouch. Because I don't get home til evening, it's usually about 2 am when I get to bed. So you won't see any photo of me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment